Coronavirus 19 (COVID-19) Information & Resources
COVID-19 Vaccine Update - April 27, 2021
Thanks for checking the Spencer Hospital website and Facebook page as news is changing frequently.
- There is an informational webpage on this site specific to COVID-19 Vaccine Information, which will be updated as new information becomes available. Click on this link to access: COVID-19 Vaccination Information
- To access the Iowa Department of Public Health's information page on vaccination progress across the state, click here: Vaccination Progress
Clay County Public Health, Spencer Hospital and local clinics are looking forward to the next phases of the vaccination process so we can assist more people in gaining protection against COVID-19. Meanwhile… wash your hands, wear your masks in public areas and maintain a six-foot or greater distance from those not members of your household.
Watch this page for updated information from Spencer Hospital and Clay County Public Health regarding the novel coronavirus 19, known as COVID-19. The impact of the disease can cause situations to change rapidly and we will strive to keep you informed.
State of Iowa COVID-19 Information Line: 211
COVID-19 Toolkits for Community Members & Businesses:
In need of information to better understand your response related to the COVID-19 virus? The Community Exposure Toolkit is designed to help answer many of your questions, such as how to self-isolate should you be tested for the virus, tips on disinfection, how to care for a family member, and more. The Business Toolkit provides valuable information on how to minimize exposure for your customers and workforce.
COVID-19 Diagnostic Laboratory Testing Price
The price of a COVID-19 test (CPT 87635) at Spencer Hospital is $156.25 (inclusive of supplies, lab equipment and staff time to perform the test). Many insurance companies, as well as government programs such as Medicare and Medicaid, have taken steps to ensure coverage to eliminate any out-of-pocket costs for COVID-19 testing. Also, for any self-insured patients, there will not be a bill at this time. Spencer Hospital will seek reimbursement from any applicable government programs which may provide coverage for the test.
Visitor Restrictions at Spencer Hospital (Masks Required) - Updated Feb. 17, 2021
To protect our patients, families, healthcare workers and community during the pandemic outbreak of COVID-19 (Novel Coronavirus-19) and to prevent further spread of the disease, visitor restrictions are listed below. All patients and permitted visitors who enter the hospital or any of the clinics MUST bring and wear a mask.
- Inpatients in ICU (Intensive Care Unit) and Medical-Surgical Unit (second & third floors): One visitor per patient permitted within the facility.
- No visitors for patients with COVID-19 diagnosis unless receiving end-of-life care.
- Birth Center and Surgery Center: One visitor/support person.
- Behavioral Health: No visitors permitted due to congregate setting.
- Outpatients: No visitors in general; one visitor may accompany patients who require assistance, patients scheduled for OB ultrasounds, and pediatric patients age 17 years or younger.
- Emergency patients: Patients may be accompanied by one visitor; visitors cannot rotate.
- Patients who are receiving end-of-life care (as determined by physician): Two visitors at a time.
- Pediatric patients (age 17 and under) - Pediatric patients hospitalized as inpatients (admitted to the Medical-Surgical floors or Intensive Care Unit) may have two parents/guardians visit. Outpatient pediatric patients may be accompanied by one parent or guardian. Only one parent or guardian with a pediatric patient in the emergency department.
- Warner Dialysis Centers: For the safety of our patients receiving dialysis treatment, no visitors are permitted at the Spencer or Spirit Lake Centers effective March 16, 2020.
- Adult outpatients are asked to come alone, unless physical assistance is required. Also, obstetric patients scheduled for an OB ultrasound may be accompanied by one person.
- Surgical patients may be accompanied by one person who must remain in the surgical area during the patient’s procedure.
- Avera Home Medical Equipment: To prevent further spread of COVID-19, Avera Home Medical Equipment of Spencer Hospital patients may wear a mask and come into the building or call ahead for curbside delivery. You can reach Avera Home Medical Equipment of Spencer Hospital at (712) 580-3923.
Keeping You Connected
For the safety and health of our patients, their loved ones and our healthcare workers during the COVID-19 pandemic, Spencer Hospital has restricted visitors. However, we know that connecting patients with their loved ones is essential during their hospital stay.
We encourage patients to have one primary contact person who can keep other family members and friends updated. When possible, we encourage the patient and their contact person to communicate directly. All inpatient rooms have landlines and patients are also welcome to use their personal cellphones. To reach a patient room, dial (712) 264-8300 and then enter the four digit patient room number. If you don’t know the patient’s room number or if the patient is in ICU, dial the same number – (712) 264-8300 and press 0 for assistance.
If your hospitalized loved one is too ill to communicate with his/her primary contact directly, please have the primary contact person call the unit where the patient is staying.
For ICU, call (712) 264-8300 and use extension 6292
For the Medical/Surgical floors, call (712) 264-8300 and dial extension 6215
We understand this is a challenging time for all and we will continue to make every effort to keep you well informed and connected with your loved one.
Temporarily Suspended Services
- Weekly free blood pressure checks in Spencer Hospital's lobby are suspended
- Volunteer Services: (Includes volunteer staffing of Gift Shop.) Online gift shop orders for patient deliveries is available: Send a Gift)
- Valet Services: have been suspended. If patients need assistance getting from the parking lot into the facility, they should stop under the main entrance canopy and ask for wheelchair services from their parked car into the facility.
Visiting our news page for recent articles on COVID-19 and other health stories: Local Health News
State & Federal Resources:
COVID-19 in Iowa - A State of Iowa website (new on March 24th) created to share comprehensive information regarding novel coronavirus 19 (COVID-19) in Iowa.
Iowa Department of Public Health - Up-to-date information on diagnosed cases in Iowa, news bulletins and prevention tips.
Updates from Iowa Governor Kim Reynolds' office
Centers for Disease Control & Prevention - The CDC is monitoring the spread of COVID-19 across the United States, and serves as a source for the latest information.
Valuable Information from the CDC:
Information & Prevention Tips from Spencer Hospital & Clay County Public Health