Dialysis & Kidney Care
Kidney disease is on the rise, sometimes due to hereditary or environmental conditions and other times as a result of long-term lifestyle choices. While there are many different causes, diabetes and high blood pressure are often the culprits while obesity increases your risk. Spencer Hospital provides a number of services to assist people coping with kidney diseases.
Dialysis services are provided at the Warner Dialysis Center of Spencer and Warner Dialysis Center of Spirit Lake to patients throughout the region who need this life-sustaining care close to home. Dialysis is the process by which the blood is cleansed artificially rather than by the kidneys. Hemodialysis treatments are required three days per week and each treatment lasts approximately four hours.
Nephrology clinics, conducted by a nephrologist – a physician specializing in kidney disease, are held at each center to provide care and monitoring for patients who have kidney disease yet do not require dialysis services. Patients receive regular evaluations from our nephrologist, as well as nursing care and nutrition counseling.
Conditions We Treat
Our kidney health specialists can provide diagnosis and treatment of kidney disorders, such as:
- Acute and chronic kidney disease, including end stage renal disease (ESRD)
- Fluid and electrolyte disorders
- Hypertension management
- Kidney stones
- Nephrotic syndrome
- Polycystic kidney disease
- Renal vascular disease
Services Focused on Care & Comfort
Services and amenities include:
- Assistance with medication management
- Patient and family educational programs in partnership with the Heartland Kidney Network designed to support effective dialysis care for you and your family
- A social worker to facilitate your overall plan, including assistance with understanding your insurance benefits and community resources
- Routine consultation with a dietitian to help you develop a personalized nutrition plan to meet your health needs
- Blanket warmers for your comfort
- Personal TVs to help pass the time during treatment