Current Benefits

This is a summary of the benefits and wage incentives offered to all regular full-time and part-time employees at Spencer Hospital. Further information on these benefits can be found by contacting the Human Resources office at (712) 264-6205.  

Benefit  Payor  Eligibility Effective Description
Paid Time Off (PTO) SH Full-time (60 hrs/pp or more)
Part-time (40 hrs/pp - 59 hrs/pp)

Starts accruing immediately,
available for use after 90 days
of employment.

Pait time you receive while
away from work. You may use
this time for vacation, holiday,
illness, or personal reasons pending
manager approval.

Annual PTO accrual  (80 hours/pay period) --
0-4 years               22 days
5-9 years               27 days
After 10years       31 days

PTO may also be donated
to fellow employees.  PTO
buy back options at 85% are
offered twice a year to eligible employees. 

Health Insurance SH and You Full-time
Part-time
Weekend Package with benefits
1st of the month following
one full month of employment.
Spencer Hospital’s health
insurance plan is self-funded
and administered by HealthSCOPE.
The monthly premium is shared by
the employee and hospital.  Your
portion of the premium is a pre-tax
deduction; the amount deducted
depends on your plan choice and your employment status. 
Dental Insurance You Full-time
Part-time
Weekend Package with benefits
1st of the month following
one full month of employment.
The premiums are paid by the employee and are deducted from your paycheck on a pre-tax basis.  The plan is designed to cover a majority of preventive services and offset the cost of basic & major repair services.  Employees who sign-up when first eligible are not subject to 'late entrant' restrictions.
Vision Insurance You Full-time
Part-time
Weekend Package with benefits
1st of the month following
one full month of employment.
You are eligible to participate in the hospital's vision insurance program.  The premiums are paid by the employee and are payroll pre-tax deductions.  The plan is designed to help supplement vision exam and hardware expenses.  
Life Insurance & Accidental Death & Dismemberment SH Full-time
Part-time
Weekend Package with benefits
After 90 days of employment. Term life insurance equal to one times your annual salary.  You may purchase additional coverage of one or two times your annual pay, plus additional dependent life coverage.
Flexible Spending Accounts SH and You Full-time
Part-time
Weekend Package with benefits
1st of the month following
one full month of employment.
You may have money withheld from your paychecks on a pre-tax basis to be used for dependent-care expenses (up to $5,000) and/or unreimbursed medical expenses (up to $2,500), with a $500 annual rollover.
Long-term Disability Insurance SH Full-time
Part-time
Weekend Package with benefits
After 90 days of employment. Income equal to 60% of your insured salary for disabilities lasting beyond 90 days.  There is an initial 90-day period before you are eligible to receive this benefit.
Short-term Disability Insurance SH Full-time
Part-time
Weekend Package with benefits
After 1 year of employment. This program provides 60% of your pay if you are off work due to an accident, illness, or maternity.  The plan begins paying following a 24 hour waiting period and will pay until recovery or up to 13 weeks.
IPERS (Iowa Public Employees Retirement System) SH and You All employee classifications (as long as certain requirements are met) Immediately upon meeting IPERS eligibility requirements

This is a mandatory state retirement program designed as a supplement to Social Security.  You contribute 5.78% of covered wages through payroll deductions and the hospital contributes 8.67%.  Total contribution is 14.45%.

*Paramedics: 6.56% ER: 9.84% Total: 16.40%

Deferred Compensation You Full-time
Part-time
Weekend Package with benefits
You may participate in this tax-deferred savings plan which is issued by the State of Iowa Retirement Club (RIC).  ING and Mass Mutual are the two companies you can select from.
Optional Supplemental Ins. (AFLAC: Accident, Cancer, Hospital Protection, Group Critical Illness) You Full-time
Part-time
Weekend Package with benefits
1st of the month following
one full month of employment.
These supplemental insurance plans are meant to reduce the impact of deductibles, copays, etc., not to replace or duplicate our existing health insurance.  Premiums are taken on a pre-tax basis for all except Group Critical Illness.
Tuition Assistance SH Full-time
Part-time
Weekend Package 

After 1 year of employment.
 

You may apply for assistance to advance your education in your field or another hospital-related area.

*Forgivable loan program for director/executive level

Educational Programs SH

All employee classifications
(as long as hourly requirements are met)

Upon hire. You may attend all hospital-sponsored ed programs free of charge (unless stated otherwise per program).  If you’re governed by continuing ed requirements, you’re eligible annually for 8 hours to attend an approved outside program.

THRIVE (Wellness Opportunities at Work)

SH

Full-time
Part-time
Weekend Package
PRN

SH offers various wellness to our employees, including free tobacco cessation and Chantix, a Weight Watchers at Work stipend, Naturally Slim, Cardiac Screenings (EE & Spouses meet qualifications), Live Healthy Iowa, and other incentives.
EAP (Employee Assistance Program) SH All employee classifications. Upon hire. This free program is designed to assist employees & immediate family members in coping with personal, financial and other concerns by providing initial assessment (up to 3 hrs/incident) and additional counseling (up to 7 hrs/year) 
Vaccines SH All employee classifications. Upon hire. You may receive certain vaccinations at no cost.
Outpatient Discounts SH and You All employee classifications (when requirements are met). Upon hire. Employees may receive a 25% discount on all hospital outpatient charges if carry health insurance and the bill is paid within 60 days of the invoice date. *1 discount at a time
Cafeteria Discount Sh All employee classifications (who are actively working). Upon hire. While working you receive a 25% discount on your own meals in the hospital’s cafeteria.  Payment may be made through payroll deduction or cash.  Note: Some vendor-provided items may be ineligible for this discount.
Athletic Enhancement Discount SH and   You All employee classifications and spouses. Upon hire. Athletic Enhancement offers employee discounts when you meet certain facility usage requirements.  AE is accessible 24 hr/day, personal training programs are available.
YMCA Discount You All employee classifications. Upon hire. The Spencer Family YMCA offers membership discounts to Spencer Hospital employees.
Service Awards SH All employee classifications. Increments of 5 years. Service awards are presented to employees for each five years of continuous employment with the hospital.

Incentive Payor Eligibility Effective Description
Holiday Pay SH All employee classifications (in eligible positions) Upon hire. If you are scheduled and work on any one of the seven holidays recognized by the hospital, you will be compensated at 1½ times your regular hourly rate.
Overtime Pay SH All employee classifications (in eligible positions) Upon hire. You will be paid 1½ times your regular hourly wage for all time worked over 40 hours per week.
Call Pay SH All employee classifications (in eligible positions) Upon hire. Eligible employees will receive $2.00 per hour for all time spent on call status.  
Call-back Pay SH All employee classifications (in eligible positions) Upon hire. Regularly scheduled employees who are granted call-back status by hospital administration and are called to work non-scheduled time will receive 1½ times their regular hourly rate for time worked, plus an additional half hour for travel time.
Double-shift Pay SH All employee classifications (in eligible positions) Upon hire. Staff members who work an entire double shift, or 4 hours past a 12 hr shift, will be compensated at a rate of 1½ times their regular hourly rate for the second shift.  
Shift Differential SH All employee classifications (in eligible positions) Upon hire. Eligible staff members are paid an additional $1.25 per hour for the 3-11 shift and $1.70 per hour for the 11-7 shift.
Weekend Differential SH All employee classifications (in eligible positions) Upon hire. Eligible staff members are paid an additional $.85 per hour for all weekend shifts beginning on Saturday or Sunday.
Additional
Weekend Pay
SH All employee classifications (in eligible positions) Upon hire. When staff members work an additional weekend shift that is approved by their managers, they will be paid a premium for working the extra weekend. (From $3.13/hr to $5/hr)
Instructor
Incentive Pay
SH All employee classifications Upon hire. Employees teaching an approved continuing education class are eligible for a $6/hour differential for instructor and prep.
BSN Credit SH Staff nurses Upon hire. Eligible staff nurses will receive a 3% increase to their base wage with verification of a Bachelor’s of Science in Nursing.
Group Incentive Program SH All employee classifications Upon hire. Each fiscal year, eligible staff members may receive a bonus of up to 4% of their earnings if established patient satisfaction and financial performance goals are met.