Welcome to Spencer Hospital. Whether you’re a patient or a visitor, information about our services, programs, staff and facilities will help make your hospital visit more convenient, comfortable and pleasant. If you cannot find what you are looking for within our website, please contact Spencer Hospital switchboard at 712-264-6198, from 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. and a member of our team will be happy to assist you.
CDC & OSHA Requirements: Just a reminder that currently OSHA and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) require masks be worn in healthcare facilities in the United States by everyone - visitors, patients, employees, and vendors - regardless of vaccination status.
General Visiting Hours
Visits from family members and friends can provide a tremendous benefit to our hospital patients. Please respect the wishes of the patient regarding how much or how little visitation he or she would like. For the health and safety of our patients, please do not visit if you or a child is ill and have an infectious disease such as a cold or the flu. The front entrance is locked at 9 PM; afterwards, admission can be gained through the Emergency Department entrance on the northeast side of the hospital.
Department Specific Visiting Hours
- Birth Center: 9 AM – 9 PM with Mom & Baby Quiet Time scheduled from 2 – 4 PM daily to allow resting time.
- Intensive Care Unit: Please limit visitors to no more than two people at a time. Quiet time is designated from 2 – 4 PM and midnight to 4 AM daily to promote a healing environment.
- Behavioral Health Unit: By appointment only - call (712) 264-6228 to schedule. Physician discretion may apply.
- Abben Cancer Center - Please limit visitors to no more than two. Visitors are encouraged to wear masks for the safety of immunocompromised patients, regardless of COVID-19 transmission levels.
- Emergency Department - No more than two people at a time. Circumstances may require visitors to step out of the patient care area and into the waiting area.
- Medical-Surgical Inpatient Unit - If community transmission levels of COVID-19 are categorized as "high" by the CDC, or if a high number of COVID-infected patients are receiving care, the Medical-Surgical inpatient units will limit visitors.
- Patients with infectious illnesses - Standard precautions and procedures apply to patients being treated for infectious illnesses, which include visitor restrictions.
All patients and guests are encouraged to use out complimentary valet parking service offered each weekday (except holidays) from 5:30 AM - 5 PM. Remember there is no charge for this service and tipping is not permitted.
Use the circular driveway at the entrance on First Ave East when you arrive.
Free Wi-Fi is available throughout Spencer Hospital as "public." This is a free service for patients and guests to enhance your stay. Additionally, computers are available for public use to access the internet in our Surgery Center waiting area.
Automatic Teller Machine (ATM)
For your convenience, an ATM is located in the hospital cafeteria.
Places to Eat
Spencer Hospital Cafeteria
Our hospital cafeteria, located on the first floor, provides a place for visitors to enjoy a nourishing meal, healthy snack or complimentary cup of coffee throughout the day. The Cafe offers a variety of freshly prepared food selections that will appeal to diverse tastes and dietary needs.
|Grab & Go Items*
||6:30 AM - 6:30 PM Monday - Friday
|Buffet Hot Breakfast
||6:30 - 9 AM Monday - Friday
||11 AM - 1:15 PM Monday - Friday
||5 - 6:30 PM Daily
* Grab & Go Items include: Sandwiches, beverages, snacks, fruit, desserts and more.
In the event that it would be more convenient to dine in a patient room, you may order a guest tray. Information regarding menu selection, ordering instructions and pricing is included on the back of the Patient Room Service Menu.
Muggabeans Coffee Co.
In addition to hot breakfast and coffee found in the Café, our guests can enjoy a variety of gourmet coffees, teas, lattes, shakes, breakfast muffins, scones, as well as daily lunch options at Muggabeans, an independently owned and operated coffee shop located next to the Spencer Hospital Cafe.
Hours: Monday – Friday from 6:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m
Vending machines, located within the cafeteria and various areas throughout the hospital, offer our visitors quick snacks and soft drink choices with a credit card payment option, 24 hours a day.
Our chapel is located on the second floor of the Hospital adjacent to Elevator B. The chapel is open 24 hours a day for those who need some quiet time for reflection or prayer. The chapel is an interfaith space, open to diverse faiths and cultures.
For your health and well-being and for all our patients, tobacco use is not permitted on the Spencer Hospital campus – referring to all buildings, grounds, parking lots and the hospital park – or any of the hospital’s clinic campuses, including Warner Dialysis Centers, Milford Family Care, Sioux Rapids Family Care and Avera Medical Group Spencer.
Take a Walk
Our Grand Avenue Park on the west side of the hospital grounds offers the beauty of nature with a sunken garden, fountains and a wide variety of plants. Walk for exercise or stroll for reflection; enjoy the sculpture located on the south side of the garden; rest on a bench; view the "Garden of Life" made possible by donors to the Spencer Regional Healthcare Foundation or come for one of many events held on the center lawn and gazebo areas.
Spencer Hospital Auxiliary offers a lovely gift shop just off the main lobby on the first floor. Staffed entirely by our Auxiliary volunteers, the gift shop offers a wide range of gifts for your friends or loved ones . . . or yourself! The gift shop is open each weekday from 9 a.m. – 3 p.m. or you may order a gift online or call the Gift Shop at 712-794-5259.