Better Sleep for Better Overall Health
May is Better Sleep Month, a time to encourage healthy sleep patterns and educate on the benefits of sleeping well. Healthy sleep hygiene is a crucial part of our daily lives by helping us feel energized as well as aid in maintaining a healthy body.
Lack of sleep, especially over time, can wreak havoc on one's physiological and cognitive functions. Studies show that for every 45 minutes of sleep lost is a 5-10% decrease in proper body function.
Effects on the Body due to Lack of Sleep:
- Negatively impacts memory
- Creates for a moody temper
- Diminishes creativity
- Increase in anxiety, stress response, and depression symptoms
- Decreases problem-solving skills and reaction time
- Less focus and cooperation
- Weakens the immune system
- Affects the body's insulin release
- Risk of diabetes and high blood pressure
- Decrease in libido
- Increase in chemicals contributed to inflammation
- Weight gain contributed to chemical imbalances
- More injury prone
If you suspect you may not be getting adequate sleep, it may be time for you to see your medical provider. For more information about Sleep Medicine, please visit our Sleep Medicine page.