“What are we going to have for supper?”
Often, this question is one of the most difficult decisions of your day. Finding a meal that is quick enough to whip up in less than 30 minutes, simple enough that you don’t have to spend time doing additional work after a long day, and customizable to fit your family’s entire needs.
It’s estimated that the average American eats out around 4-5 times a week. That number may even double depending on your schedule and lifestyle. Although dining out may be the easy option, it comes at a price. Restaurant portions are often larger than recommended and generous on extra calories, added fat, and sodium.
When possible, it is best to skip the drive-through and chose to dine at home. If you’re like myself, the thought of running to the grocery store after a busy day is not exactly at the top of your list. Yes, even as a dietitian, I dread the thought of going grocery shopping after a busy day. For this reason, I chose to have the basic staples on hand for a quick and simple dinner: Sandwich wraps. It’s a customizable way to satisfy the pickiest taste buds, while even saving yourself money. Balance out the meal with a side of cut, fresh vegetables or sliced fruit and you are on your way to a well-balanced plate.
Staples to have on hand-
- Whole grain tortillas/Whole grain sandwich wraps
- Thinking low-carb? Try wrapping your ingredients in a lettuce leaf
- Lean protein Source
- Leftover chicken, sliced turkey, low-fat cheese
- Favorite fresh, or roasted, vegetables
- Tomato, lettuce, spinach, sliced onion, zucchini, yellow squash, bell pepper
- Hummus, mashed avocado, buffalo sauce, Caesar dressing
- Combine ingredients to make your own sauce using plain Greek yogurt. Here’s a recipe that I really enjoy for a quick, homemade sauce found on the Stacey Homemaker blog site. As the recipe name says, in just a couple minutes you can be enjoying this sauce for your wraps, veggies and more! Two-Minute Southwest Ranch Greek Yogurt Sauce
Still need some inspiration? One of my favorite wraps is to simply grill a variety of veggies (it’s a great way to use zucchini!), in olive oil until tender, seasoning with salt and pepper while grilling. Then, spread hummus on a whole-wheat wrap, the grilled veggies, pine nuts for crunch, spinach or salad greens of your choice, and sliced red onion – yum!
A nutritious meal does not have to be complicated. With a little bit of pre-planning, you will be on your way to a delicious dinner without the hassle. Maybe even save yourself some time to relax. Now, which wrap will you enjoy at your next dinner?