Frequently, rest, physical therapy and time can help resolve or relieve back or neck pain. However, in some cases, surgery is the best option.
Whether it is surgery for a disk problem or a spinal fusion that is needed, those procedures can be accommodated the hospital’s surgery center. The most frequently performed back procedures at Spencer Hospital are as follows:
- Laminectomy for bulging disk
- Anterior cervical fusion (neck surgery)
- Fusion of the lumbar spine for arthritis and disk disease
- Kyphoplasty to relieve pain associated with collapsed vertebrae associated with osteoporosis
Information for Patients
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: What information do I need to bring to my first appointment at Iowa Spine Care of Spencer Hospital?
A: Any current diagnostic test results (such as CT, Myelograms, X-rays, MRI, etc), and your insurance card.
Also consider bringing:
- A family member so multiple people can hear what Dr. McGuire is sharing. Family members often ask additional questions you may not think to ask at the time.
- A list of all medications you are currently taking.
- Information regarding all significant past medical history.
Q: How long does it typically take for diagnostic tests and treatments ordered by the doctor to be scheduled?
A: It may take up to two weeks due to a number of process steps. Most insurance companies will require a doctor’s report from our office before they authorize the payment, which typically takes several days. Also, time is allotted for testing facilities to return results.
Q: Once my diagnostic and/or laboratory tests are completed, what should I expect to do about the results?
A: Following the completion of your diagnostic and laboratory tests, we recommend that you request a copy of the results (or the originals) to bring to your follow-up visit at Iowa Spine Care. Because of our collaborative and personal process, and the inherent complexity of spinal issues, Dr. McGuire only explains the results in person. This ensures you can feel comfortable with the process and can get answers to all of your questions. We want to make sure you understand the ramifications of the results before you agree to any treatment protocols.
Please contact us to find out if we are in your insurance provider’s network. You can reach our office at (712) 580-2225.
Meet Our Provider